Reporting Resource Library

Federal Resources

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Safe Drinking Water Information System
The Safe Drinking Water Information System (SDWIS) contains information about public water systems and their violations of EPA's drinking water regulations, as reported to EPA by the states. These regulations establish maximum contaminant levels, treatment techniques, and monitoring and reporting requirements to ensure that water systems provide safe water to their customers. This search will help you to find your drinking water supplier and view its violations and enforcement history since 1993.

Safe Drinking Water Hotline: (800) 426-4791

Tags: Maps and Tools, Data, Water Supply, Reporting

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Report Aquatic Invasive Species Tool
Have you seen anything unusual?  Please report all aquatic invasive species locations.  This online sighting report tool, managed by the U.S. Geologic Survey in Gainesville, Florida, is available via the internet 24 hours a day.  

Tags: Invasive Species, Reporting

U.S. Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement
Abandoned Mine Land Inventory System
The Abandoned Mine Land Inventory System is a computer system used to store, manage, and report on the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement's Inventory of Abandoned Mine Land Problems. This includes both problems in need of reclamation and those that have been reclaimed.

See also: Abandoned Mine Land Reclamation Program Website

Tags: Abandoned Mines, Coal, Website, Maps and Tools, Reclamation, Reporting, Regulation

Applicant Violator System
The Applicant Violator System is an automated information system owned and operated by OSMRE. Information on applicants, permittees, operators, application and permit records, as well as unabated or uncorrected environmental violations of SMCRA are maintained in this nationwide database for OSMRE’s Federal and State programs.

See also: Abandoned Mine Land Reclamation Program Website

Tags: Abandoned Mines, Coal, Website, Maps and Tools, Reclamation, Reporting, Regulation, Permits, Water Quality

Citizens Request for an Inspection
Under the Surface Mining Law, citizens may request an inspection of a mine if a violation is suspected. If your request provides a reasonable basis to believe that a violation exists, you also have the right to accompany the mine inspector when he completes the inspection. The procedure for requesting an inspection should begin with filing a request with the state agency, or with the Office of Surface Mining in the states of Tennessee and Washington, or on Indian lands.

Tags: Reporting, Mines, Water Quality, Regulation



KY Department for Public Health
Local Health Department Listings
Contact information for county health department offices in Kentucky. 

Tags: Contacts, Public Health, Septic

Lead Poisoning and Lead Issues
Information and resources related lead related laws and safety. 

Tags: Lead, Water Quality, Reporting, Education, Public Safety

Mercury Information Page
Information and resources related mercury and mercury exposure.

Tags: Mercury, Water Quality, Reporting, Education, Public Safety

Onsite Wastewater Program
The Onsite Wastewater Program is administered through local health departments and begins with the use of onsite evaluations to determine if site and soil conditions are suitable for onsite wastewater systems. Certified inspectors perform site evaluations and inspections in Kentucky and certified installers must install systems unless a homeowner wishes to install his or her own system and obtains a homeowner’s permit. This program's website includes information for registering a complaint regarding a septic system, septic system installer or septic tank pumper, as well as homeowner tips for septic systems.  

Tags: Reporting, Septic, Pathogens, Wastewater, Education

KY Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
Fishing and Boating Guide 2016-2017
A guide with information on fishing and boating regulations,  obtaining licenses and permits, consumption advisories, identification guides, aquatic nuisance species, trouts stream, boat accident reporting and more. 

Tags: Fishing, Recreation, Guides, Permits, Education, Invasive Species, Reporting

KY Division of Water
Kentucky Division of Water Hotline
For environmental emergencies such as spills of gas, oil or other substances, contact the Environmental Response Team: 502-564-2380 or 1-800-928-2380

Tags: Reporting, Water Quality, Spills, Oil and Gas


State Resources - TN

Austin Peay State University
Stormwater Runoff at Austin Peay State University
This webpage contains information about stormwater runoff, why it's a problem, how to help mitigate its impacts, and how to report related environmental incidents such as dumping or other discharges to stormwater drains. It also provides information about the University's efforts to manage stormwater. 

Tags: Stormwater, MS4s, Reporting, Education

TN Division of Forestry
Timber Harvesting Complaints
The Division of Forestry investigates complaints about water pollution caused by timber harvesting. Complaints can be registered at any Division office or at the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Environmental Field Office, 1-888-891-TDEC (8332). Complaints can also be registered electronically using the TDEC Water Quality Complaint Form for Logging Activities

Tags: Reporting, Forestry, Water Quality

Water Quality Webpage
This webpage provides an overview of water quality programs and measures employed by the Division of Forestry. 

Tags: Forestry, Water Quality, Best Management Practices, Surveys, Reporting

TN Division of Water Resources
Citizen Water Quality Complaints
Citizens may submit complaints about water quality violations to the State of Tennessee by email, through the mail or by toll-free phone number. This website provides information for doing so.

Tags: Water Quality, Reporting, Violations



Water Quality Hotline
Concerned citizens of Hendersonville can call (615-590-4652) for stormwater issues or complaints. 

Tags: Reporting, Pollution

Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
Franklin aims to identify and eliminate illicit discharges to ensure protection of the environment, proper clean-up of materials, and increasing public awareness of ways to protect the environment by preventing harmful discharges and accidental spills. The program includes the starting of field screening, stream inspections, wet weather monitoring, and complaint response. This educational handoutprovides examples of illicit stormwater discharges. 

See also: Reporting Pollution

Tags: Illicit Discharge, Point Source Pollution, Stormwater, Nonpoint Source Pollution, Spills, Regulation

Reporting Pollution
This webpage allows visitors to report stormwater pollution. This educational handout provides examples of illicit stormwater discharges. 

Tags: Reporting, Stormwater, Education, Regulations, Gas and Motor Oil, Grass Clippings, Car Wash Wastewater, Household Cleaners, Paints, Pesticides, Pet Waste, Herbicides

Report a Stormwater or Pollution Concern
An online form allowing visitors to report concerns. Information is also provided regarding foam and iron bacteria in surface water. For additional reporting and inquiry information about stormwater maintenance and pollution (or to inquire if a property is in the floodplain) visit this page. Metro also notes that to report water pollution within streams, storm drains, or storm ditches, one can call 615-880-2420 or email

Tags: Reporting, Stormwater, Pollution

What You Can Do To Reduce Stormwater Pollution
This site is home to a bit of information about water pollution and stormwater improvement programs in Murfreesboro. Phone numbers are provided for reporting erosion and sediment control problems. 

Tags: Education, Stormwater, Runoff, Pollution, Development, Construction, Sediment, Erosion, Reporting



Appalachian Voices
Appalachian Water Watch
Through the Appalachian Water Watch program, we work to address water quality issues in coal-impacted communities around Central Appalachia by promoting and ensuring compliance with laws that protect clean water. The Appalachian Water Watch Alerts Site was created to help people in Central Appalachia report and track incidents of water pollution.The Appalachian Citizens Enforcement Project is designed to fill the vacuum left by the lack of state enforcement through empowering communities to monitor their own water, creating a broad perspective into the extent of coal-related contamination across the entire region. The Accountability through the Courts has information about water quality laws and lawsuits in the region. 

Tags: Monitoring, Reporting, Water Quality, Pollution, Mining, Coal, Environmental Justice, Litigation, Policy

The Nature Conservancy - TN
Report a Pest
When you identify tree damage or notice an unusual tree pest, take a picture and note the location. Report your findings to officials in Tennessee by calling  (615) 837-5520 or emailing You can also report online at:

See also: Healthy Trees, Healthy Tennessee

Tags: Reporting, Invasives, Trees, Forests, Biodiversity

Richland Creek Watershed Alliance
Report a Problem
If you notice anything unusual or that could potentially endanger the lives of people or wildlife along Richland Creek or be harmful to water quality, RCWA wants to know. 

Tags: Reporting, Public Safety